Thursday, November 6, 2008

One Last Election Connection

I was lucky enough to get two tickets to the Obama rally in Grant Park on election night. I debated whether or not I should go. My concerns? Crowd control issues, difficulty of getting in and out of the city, standing on my feet for an unknown number of hours, not being with my closest friends who have shared this whole election season with me, just the whole hassle factor of attending something like that. But my fifteen year old wouldn’t hear of it. He understood the historical significance of it and wasn’t taking no for an answer. So we bit the bullet and went.

Most of those concerns were realized but I would do it again in a second. It was such a thrill to just be part of it and neither of us will ever forget it. So what’s the recruiting connection? When I think back to the beginning of the process for us, it felt like there were so many obstacles and so many things we didn't know how to do. It would have been easy to let all those things aggravate us to the point of paralysis. But we took the bull by the horns, worked through the obstacles, and I would do it again in a second. The outcome was well worth it—just like our trip to the rally.

Don’t fall prey to getting intimidated by what seems too overwhelming, confusing, or mysterious to figure out. Nothing is as hard as you think. Take a minute and shoot me a note--what are the obstacles that are looming large in your way?

2 comments:

Steph said...

Not a student athlete, but I do have some upcoming education decisions to make such as: do I want to go on for my MBA and if so where and if so when. It has cost me a lot of money to get this far in education and have done it without scholarship money so I would really need to find the right fit with a scholarship. Then finding the time to go to school is hard enough without adding a Masters program in the mix. I would like to be done with school but if I really want to go into HRM like I plan I do need to have a Masters degree. So while your book is geared towards sports programs I am going to read it with a Masters in mind.

Laurie's Line said...

Go Steph! If you're motivated, follow through with it. There's no downside except exhaustion. When you get your copy of the book and you read the chapter on money concerns, the same strategy that will get an athlete merit money will work for you too. Let's talk about it after you read it through.